Today we are going to show you our department. It is called "Facultad de Educación".


People come to this department because they want to be kindergarten or primary school teachers. There, we also can study psycho-pedagogy.
The first degree last 3 years, although from next year on the duration will be 4 years. Psycho-pedagogy studies are done in two years, once you have passed the previous degree.
There are different fields. We are studying for being an English Primary teacher, but one can also study to become a music teacher, physical education teacher, primary teacher, kindergarten teacher or teach people who have disabilities such as being deaf.
Here you have some photos of our faculty:
The stairs

The elevator

The toilet

The Hall


A corridor

In the morning, if we are hungry we can buy some food or take some drinks on the vending machines.

For example, if we have to do some projects we can do it on some tables which are on the corridors.

There are two boards in the hall where people can see or put some news about the university or entertainments; some students put there advertisements to exchange class notes, other students want to teach and they offer you classes leaving there a paper explaining what they do.

We have few rooms like this one with computers; they are not open all day because someone must be there looking for them and helping you if you need, that ones are some students that are working there for few hours a day, so they have an schedule and we can go there when the rooms are open. We can go there to surf on the internet, work, study...

This room is where we go to make photocopies, and is always full of people, it's a mess!

In this picture, you can see our library, we can go there to read some books and take them home for few days, we can do this with our university card; students use the library also to work, or study on their own.


This locked door is the secretary's office, where at the beginning of the course we go and register ourselves for the next course or into a new one.

And finally here you have our class


We start the lessons at 9 o'clock. It depends on the day, but usually we finish at 13.00 or at 14.00. After that, we go home in order to have lunch. There are some people who eat in the coffee bar because they live far away. Some days, we also have lessons in the afternoon, from 16:00 until 18:00.
We hope you like our department!!
Your education department has really nice facilities, all the buildings look brand new. The students who study education are able to learn in a quality environment. This blog entry was interesting to me because my sister is a first-grade teacher and studied education when she was in college. Are you studying to be a teacher as well? I really liked this entry and I listed a few corrections to the blog below.
ResponderEliminarI think you mean to say department instead of faculty because faculty in English means staff.
"register ourselves into the next course" I think you mean "register for the next course"
"...students use the library too to work." I believe you mean "students use the library to do work."
"...leaving there a paper explaining you what they do." I think you mean "...leaving a paper there explaining what they do."
"People who come to this faculty is because they want to be kindergarten or primary school teachers." I think you mean "People come to this department because they want to be kindergarten or primary school teachers."
"We are studying for being an English Primary teacher, but there is one for music, another for physical education, another one for being a primary teacher, for being a kindergarten teacher and a specific one which is for people who have some disease, for example for deaf and dumb people." I think you mean "We are studying to be English Primary teachers, but one can also study to become a music teacher, physical education teacher, kindergarten teacher or teach people who have disabilities such as being deaf."
You guys have great facilities! The computer room reminded me a lot of the Athena clusters we have around campus. We have similar labs in a lot of the buildings, and all the computers there run Athena, the Linux-based operating system developed at MIT. The clusters are open 24-7 (but you need a password to get in) and a lot of people use them to study or use software for classes. How many people are in your department?("faculty" is generally used to refer to the professors at a university; the equivalent of "facultad" is "department" ).
ResponderEliminar-Anna-
Your library is very bright and sunny! MIT has many library scattered throughout campus... the one I spend time in, and more specifically the area the books related to my research are, is dark and depressing-- in the basement. I wouldn't want to study there any more than I have to!
ResponderEliminarIt's true the library is very bright but at first we couldn´t concentrate a lot because we could see the people walking in the street. Now they have put something in the windows so that the sunlight goes into but we can see the street.
ResponderEliminarI don't know how much people we are in the department, but for example in our class we are more or less 80 people registered (but people who go to class over 30). It also depends on the subjects.
ResponderEliminarHere it is common that each departement has differents degrees. Do you have a building for your degree or you share the department?
What an interesting blog post! Your English is really good =)
ResponderEliminarIn English we would say to "buy drinks from a vending machine" rather than to "take drinks on a vending machine." I would rephrase that sentence "if we are hungry, we can buy some food or drinks from the vending machines."
I would also rephrase this sentence: "When we do projects, we use the tables in the corridors." In America we usually call them "hallways" rather than "corridors," but corridors is perfectly fine too.
In the next sentence, "entertainments" should be singular (I would actually rephrase the sentence "There are two boards in the hall where people can post and view event announcements or news about the university.") I would also change the following sentence: "Some students post requests to exchange class notes, while others post advertisements of teaching or tutoring help."
I also wanted to tackle this sentence:
"We have few rooms like this one with computers; they are not open all day because someone must be there looking for them and helping you if you need, that ones are some students that are working there for few hours a day, so they have an schedule and we can go there when the rooms are open."
I would rephrase this:
"We have a few rooms like this one with computers. They're not open all day because there is always someone to take care of the computers and give you help if you need it." I'm not sure if I understood the last sentence, but I would say "students working there are scheduled to be there a few hours a day, so you can go there when you have an opportunity and the rooms are open."
Also just a note about one of your comments: we would say "how many people" rather than "how much people," I think because people are a countable sort of thing (whereas you would say "how much water do you want?" or something similar).
I also found your computer rooms really interesting. I think if MIT's computer rooms were only open for a few hours a day, there would be an uproar ;) People here are always in the computer rooms. A lot of people are sad because with recent budget cuts, they are thinking of closing some of them down.
At MIT different departments (we often call them "courses"; other colleges in the U.S. usually use "department," though, I think) tend to be localized to one or two buildings, but they're not separate. For instance, I'm a chemistry major here, and there is a big building devoted to chemistry in the middle of the campus, but I've never had a lecture there--it's just full of laboratory space for research. Most of the chemistry lectures do tend to be concentrated in a couple of floors on one building (another), though. Some universities in the U.S. do have separate building for each department, though (like the University of Oklahoma, in my home state).